SprintFit is a two-session "learn to sprint" clinic lead by Olympian Jessica Zelinka and UWO sprints coach Derrick Johnston.
For active adults of any level and/or experience interested in learning how to get into better shape by adding sprinting into their fitness regime.
We'll teach and practice the fundamentals of a proper warm up, the mechanics of sprinting, and we'll share knowledge on how to safely and effectively implement this fun sport into your current exercise routine.
Session #1: Fundamentals of Sprinting
- practice the principles of a proper warm-up
- injury prevention tips and exercises
- dynamic drills #1: track drills
- sprinting mechanics: on the track
(starting positions, acceleration development, foot placement, arm swing motion)
- Q&A with 2X Olympian Jessica Zelinka
Session #2: Incorporating Speed into your Training
- review of warm-up and sprinting mechanics
- dynamic drills #2: introduction to jump training (plyometrics)
- guide through sample training circuits
(Including core, medball, low hurdle hops, sprinting)
- warm down lead by guest instructor and performance coach, Andrew Parr
Total time: 3 hours (1.5hours/Session)
Session #1: Thursday August 4th @7pm- 8:30pm
Session #2: Thursday August 11th @7pm-8:30pm
Where: TD Waterhouse stadium, Western University campus
(Parking gate will be open)
Fee: $50 for 1 session, $80 for 2 sessions (recommended)